Saturday 6 June 2015

Friendly Challenge - Beads.

I do hope your weekend is going well and the weather where you are is as glorious as it is around here. The sun is shining and the temperature is not too high whilst I have been emptying out our pond in order to locate a leak! Bit of a smelly job but someone has to do it and that someone is me!  
The frogs and newts were not happy to say the least when we were trying to catch them all and I'm not sure they are overly impressed with their temporary paddling pool home for the next couple of days! 
Anyway, onto the real reason I am posting today - Helen and I met yesterday to scrap, chat and eat our way through the day and to share this months friendly challenge which was to create a layout with beads.
It was a great challenge that got us both thinking outside our respective boxes and we used the beads in very different ways to each other.


Here is the layout I created.
I had a rummage through my stash of beads and came across some gold coloured tube beads and thought they would be perfect for a sparkly festive page and the lovely selfie my girls took last  Christmas Day.


My beads are threaded through every other stitch in a grid design (yes, it took hours to complete the stitching!) onto some subtle patterned paper.
I decided I didn't want to use Christmas paper and went with non traditional colours too!


Simple embellishment of tiny pink paper stars with even more tiny star sequins. Topped off with a glitter crown. 


Here is the layout Helen created for our challenge.
Photo's of the towel sculptures they discovered in their room whilst on holiday last year in Egypt.
Helen created multiple circles as the backdrop to her page, stitched and glued in place. 


For her bead embellishment Helen found a tutorial to make these gorgeous bead flowers.
She has since shared the link with me so I thought you might like to have a go at these too so here is the link to the tutorial on YouTube - HERE. 
The black seed beads look fabulous in the center of the tiny die cut flowers. 


Not only has Helen made those beautiful bead flowers but she included beads randomly in her stitched circles.

This was certainly a tricky challenge for me but I loved how our layouts turned out.
I wonder if beads have featured on any of your pages lately? 

Thanks so much for stopping by today and checking out our latest challenge.
This months one is to create a layout based on a season, what will we come up with!

2 comments:

  1. They are both gorgeous pages. I have used beads on a page before, stitching bugle beads in place like you did, but that was years ago. Perhaps it's time to dig them out again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both pages are super cool...but your grid design is just so eye catching...I think I might just have been inspired.

    ReplyDelete